Monday, April 01, 2013

The RITA® Call!

I've had a whirlwind week but wanted to finally share the excitement of some news I got last week. My 2012 book from Love Inspired, A House Full of Hope, has been named a Romance Writers of America RITA® Finalist!

You know, writers dream of getting The Call. That's the call from an editor or agent telling us they want to buy our book. The call where we find out we've made our first sale. But getting a call from RWA about the RITA is also a dream come true for me.

So let me tell you a little about my RITA call. It's hilarious!

The phone rang, and caller ID said it was from Nebraska. Well, I thought it was my good friend Mary Connealy and was worried something was wrong! (We normally email or text unless we're at a conference.)

When I answered, the caller identified herself as Cindy Kirk. And I thought, Oh, how cool! She's going to invite me to one of her wonderful brainstorming retreats!! (I've been a bit envious of a group that she and some other writers have formed where they plot out all their books for the year).  But she didn't invite me. When she asked if I knew what that day was, I honestly had to tell her no.

Then it hit me (OMGosh!!) that it was the end of March and could be the day RITA calls go out. I yelled, NO WAY! And she said yes, A House Full of Hope was a RITA finalist. I screamed in her poor ears. Then laughed--I would imagine a bit like a maniac. Then cried.

Poor Cindy! :)

It's been so much fun to celebrate with friends. And I'm honored to have my book listed alongside the other authors. You can click here to see a full list. I'm especially excited that the RWA national conference is in Atlanta this year so my husband will be able to attend the awards ceremony with me!

Thanks for letting me share the fun with you. Also! My new release, Georgia Sweethearts, has been spotted in Walmart and on shelves! And of course it's available online. So please check it out! You can visit my website for an excerpt and to find links to various sites that carry the book.

Thanks for your support!

Much love,
Missy

P.S. I hope you had a blessed Easter! He is risen!

9 comments:

garysgirljo said...

Congratulations! Well deserved and I'm sure that you're not the first to scream in Cindy's ear ... hopefully she had you on speaker phone. :-)

jel said...

WOOHOO!
way too go!
congrats!

Missy Tippens said...

I bet you're right, Joann. :)

Thanks, Jel!

Jennifer Wright said...

How exciting! This made me smile while reading it! Congratulations

I have a question! I wrote this little book http://wp.me/P3iFe5-1o and offer it free as a PDF. It's my testimony about coming to the saving knowledge of Christ while portraying the supernatural power of God.

I felt that the Lord wanted me to write, so I bought Writers Workshop 2005 - Arrow Publications. It came in the mail on a Friday and I had 10 copies of my new book printed out to take to work on Monday. I couldn't believe it, it seamed to flow so freely.

I would like to study more about writing fictional, and to understanding character building. Do you have any advice for teaching resources?

God Bless You Missy,
Jennifer Wright

Missy Tippens said...

Thank you, Jennifer. I'd suggest checking out all the resources we have at www.seekerville.blogspot.com. We have a wealth of articles there!

Some of my favorite how-to resources are:
GMC by Debra Dixon
The Hero's Two Journeys by Michael Hauge and Chris Vogler
Break Into Fiction by Dianna Love and Mary Buckham
And Susan May Warren's and Rachel Hauck's how-to books.

Jennifer Wright said...

Thank you Missy!

God Bless You,
Jennifer Wright

Linda Marie Finn said...

Thank you for being part of the treasure hunt, for the extras your offering also. I signed up for your newsletter and liked you on facebook also. I also wanted to let you know I followed you on twitter and pinterest even though they are not required.
Blessings
Linda Marie Finn
faithulacres7@gmail.com

Linda Marie Finn said...

So looking forward to more of your books in the future.
Linda Finn
faithfulacres7@gmail.com

Missy Tippens said...

Linda Marie, I just now found your comments in my "awaiting moderation" box. I'm sorry I didn't see them sooner! Thanks for your support!