Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Do you read YA (Young Adult) novels?

I love reading YA. Maybe I'm just young at heart. Then again, most of the ones I've read are just fantastic stories no matter your age. I've read them for years but have recently gotten on a kick reading several in a row. It started when I read the free YA I was given at the RWA conference, a RITA award winner, The Iron King by Julie Kagawa. An amazing book. Amazing series (had to swipe my son's Kindle to download the next books while on vacation!)

I just saw information about a YA author tour in several smaller southern towns. What a fun idea! It's got my brain clicking about possible future book tours with some of my author friends... I'll let you know if we ever manage to plan one. :)

Here's a link to the blog site for the tour, called Ash 2 Nash (Asheville to Nashville) if you're interested in finding out more. Click here.

2 comments:

Vince said...

Hi Missy:

“A book worth reading only in childhood is not worth reading even then.” C.S. Lewis

I read YA award winning books because adults give the awards and that means these books also speak to adults. The best YA is as good or better than the best adult books. Often a life lesson hits harder when seen through the eyes of a young person. I think a good YA is harder to write than an adult book.

I also read YA to learn additional writing techniques. YA readers tend to have shorter attention spans and good YA authors are masters at maintaining reader interest.

My favorite YA book to date is “Missing May” by Cynthia Rylant. This is a Newbery winner.

Vince

Missy Tippens said...

Vince, I'll have to check that one out. Thanks for stopping by!