Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Coolest Thing Ever


My kids are back at school now (their second week), and I think it might be time for Mom to go back to school as well.

I just found out about the most amazing thing. Free online courses from MIT!! A huge offering. They have 2000 classes to choose from. They provide lecture notes, exams and videos of virtually all courses they offer. Here's what they say on the website:


MIT OpenCourseWare (OCW) is a web-based publication of virtually all MIT course content. OCW is open and available to the world and is a permanent MIT activity.

What is MIT OpenCourseWare?

MIT OpenCourseWare is a free publication of MIT course materials that reflects almost all the undergraduate and graduate subjects taught at MIT.
  • OCW is not an MIT education.
  • OCW does not grant degrees or certificates.
  • OCW does not provide access to MIT faculty.
  • Materials may not reflect entire content of the course.

How do I register to use MIT OpenCourseWare?

There is no registration or enrollment process because OCW is not a credit-bearing or degree-granting initiative.

Missy here again. I'm really excited about this. I've always said I would love to be a permanent student. (Of course, my kids think I'm crazy.) :)

I'm considering some refresher courses in biology. Would love to get updated on microbiology since I've been away from it for so long, but they don't offer as much in that area. I'd also love to study other topics that I've never had before. If you're interested in checking it out, click here. Let me know how it goes!

2 comments:

Vince said...

Hi Missy:

Have you tried one of these courses? I’ve downloaded three courses so far on ancient Greece and Rome and all I can find is course outlines and reading assignments and how the courses will be graded. But I couldn’t fine any lectures or any texts that would teach anyone anything.

Have you have any better luck?

Vince

Missy Tippens said...

Vince, all I did was browse the class list and pick a couple I'm interested in. I didn't get far enough to download anything. But I'll let you know!