Monday, January 18, 2010

Test Run on the Empty Nest

My kids are on their way home after spending the weekend on a ski trip with the youth from our church. This was the first time my husband and I have been home alone for this long--four days! It felt pretty normal at first, because there are times where both of the kids spend the night away on the same night. But when it got to the second evening, then the third, life felt really strange! And quiet. :-)

I'm ready for them to get home. I'm really excited to see them and hear all about the trip (they didn't have very good cell phone signals while gone). I'm ready for life to be back to normal. But for just a little while, I got a taste of future normal. And I'm not ready for it! I can see why parents have a difficult time adjusting to an empty nest. Of course, the kids will start to wean us once they're driving and busy with high school activities. And that'll help. In the meantime, I just won't think about the future! :) I've still got several years to enjoy the day-to-day life of teenagers.

10 comments:

bigguysmama said...

Icky test run. I CAN imagine what that will be like and I'm not looking forward to it either! I feel your pain!

~Mimi

jel said...

that's one thing i won't have to worry about !

enjoy them

Missy Tippens said...

Yeah, Mimi. We've had to let the first one go. And it's not fun!

I hope you all are doing well!

Missy Tippens said...

Jel, I try to enjoy every minute! It all passes too quickly.

Thanks for stopping by!

Anita Mae Draper said...

Well, I have a 30 and 19 yr old out the door and a 14 and 11 yr old still at home.

And all I can say is...

bring it on!!!

:)

Missy Tippens said...

LOL, Anita Mae! I wish I had your attitude. Maybe eventually I will. :)

One of my friends was cheering as the bus drove off on Friday. Another friend and I were just about to cry, and she had a good time making fun of us. :)

CatMom said...

I'm with you, Missy....I am one of those Moms who has never looked forward to the empty nest. Thankfully my youngest is still at home (high school senior) and my oldest moved back home to continue graduate studies *smile*. My middle child comes home from college sometimes on weekends,and often her fiance visits too, which I LOVE! I guess I'm happiest when I've got them ALL here. Hugs, Patti Jo :)

Vince said...

Hi Missy:

You know there are late in life babies. In fact, “Woman’s World” had a romance story just recently about such a baby. It’s a wonderful story titled “Peach-Flavored Kisses” which I think you’d really enjoy. : ).

Vince

Missy Tippens said...

LOL, Vince!! Don't let my husband hear you say that!! :)

Missy Tippens said...

Patti Jo, having them all home sounds wonderful! I sure enjoyed the summer. :)