Thursday, July 02, 2009

Our Anniversary Story

If you keep up with Facebook, you may have seen my status update this past weekend. My husband and I celebrated our 23rd anniversary! We went out to our favorite restaurant that we go to a couple of times a year for special celebrations.

We each had a card to give to the other. He'd called ahead to get reservations. So we went out for date night, leaving the kids at home. We'd made the reservations for an early dinner because we were going to be in Athens for a reception. So when we arrived at 5:30, the place was nearly empty. Maybe two or three tables had patrons when they showed us to our table.

We looked over the wonderful menu (they buy all local produce, etc,. and put ingredients together in such amazing, yummy ways!) and placed our order ( I got the shrimp and grits. Yum.). We were just settling into our romantic dinner when a family came in. Mom, dad and three young children. It's actually the first kids I've seen in the restaurant, since it doesn't have a menu kids would typically like. But I thought, what a nice young family...until they sat them right beside us!! And this with the place still nearly empty.

And I'm not talking a regular spacing of tables. No, we were seated along a wall ( I was sitting on a bench that ran along the wall), and they put them at a table right next to us on the same bench seat, so close, I had to scoot my purse toward me. Their table was maybe two feet away.

I just had to grin at my husband as I handed him his romantic card. Isn't this romantic, I whispered as he handed me my card (and I hoped the waiter would get the hint and maybe move them). But he didn't. And hubby and I laughed about it.

It ended up being fine. The children were great. So well-behaved. And we were able to tune them out.

Of course, I was floored when they brought another two people and seated them at the table on our other side!! I mean, there were probably 20 empty tables all around. I guess they were reserved, though. And It was a nice young man with his grandmother, so again, it was fine.

Overall, we had such a great time. I had the most WONDERFUL dessert--a lemon chess tart with blueberry ice cream on top. The crust was so rich and buttery. And well worth the limited romantic setting. LOL And no matter what, we were able to celebrate 23 wonderful years together. :)

3 comments:

Audra Harders said...

Happy Anniversary, Missy! 23 years! May you have at least 23 more!!

LOL! Your restaurant story is a hoot. The stuff memories are made of : )

Congratulations!!

Project Journal said...

Happy Anniversary, Missy! 23 years is such a long time, but like Audra, may you have another blessed filled more!
My grandparents just celebrated their 59 wedding anniversary! Can you imagine?
Hannah

Missy Tippens said...

Thanks, Audra and Hannah!! Yes, I thought it was funny, too, Audra. Oh, the life of a parent trying to have romantic moments. :)

Hannah, that's great about your grandparents!! I plan to be there myself someday. :)