Monday, March 30, 2009

Writers Retreat at the Beach!


I just got back from a wonderful writing retreat at North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. Fellow Love Inspired author (LI suspense), Lynette Eason, generously hosted me and two other writers at her parents' condo. It was such a wonderful, productive getaway! In the photo on the left, I'm working in my very favorite spot, out on the balcony with the ocean as my background music. I love working at the beach and am always more productive there than anywhere. Too bad I can't buy a beach house!


Here's the great view off the balcony. Although we had some rain, it warmed up and got a little sunny for a few hours on Saturday. We even saw a few brave folks who went down to the beach in swim suits. Don't know if I could have braved it! It was still too cool for me. But sitting protected from the wind with some sun shining was perfect for writing.

The photo below cracked me up. Laptop computers everywhere!! :)



I really enjoyed meeting non-fiction writers Candy Arrington (in the above photo with me) and Linda Gilden, friends of Lynette's who also live in South Carolina. I'm always amazed at how well a group of writers can get along: Talk a few minutes. Work a few hours. Eat a snack. Ask each other brainstorming questions. Type like crazy. Eat a meal. Write. Laugh and talk. Write even more. Eat another snack. Share writing stories. Type some more in our own little writing worlds. Eat a meal together. Relax a little while. Then back to work.


It's amazing how much we can get done. And we all understand if someone totally tunes out the conversation. No expectations. Just the understanding that we're there to write like crazy as well as to enjoy the company.


All in all, a fantastic 4 days!!

Also, all photos are courtesy of Lynette. She shared them on her facebook page. :) (I still haven't gotten my photos off my phone yet.)

Missy

9 comments:

Missy Tippens said...

I also meant to credit Lynette for the photos!! I took a couple that are still on my phone.

Missy

LynnRush said...

Awesome!! Sounds like a great time.

Missy Tippens said...

Yes, Lynn. It was a great time!

Anita Mae Draper said...

Hey Missy, I'm glad you had a wonderful time. I kept reading on FB that Lynette was at the beach with a writing group, but I didn't realize you were there as well until I saw the entry saying you were back.

I love writing retreats. Our group has one in the spring and fall. I've been to the fall one when the leaves are all gloriously decked out, but we don't get much of our own writing time. It's more of workshop type thing.

But the spring one is in an abbey and it's very hush hush so in that respect it's like the one you were on. I'd like to tell you it's oceanfront property, too but since it's in the middle of Saskatchewan, well...

:)

CatMom said...

Sounds like a fun, productive trip Missy! ~ My family is taking our annual beach trip in June (Jekyll Island), and my husband has already teased me about getting lots of writing done while we're there. There's just something inspiring about being at a beach....Blessings, Patti Jo :)

Missy Tippens said...

LOL, Anita Mae! Not quite beach front, I guess. But it sounds wonderful!!

Patti Jo, I hope you have a great time! I love Jekyll (although I've never stayed there)!

Missy

Jennifer Hudson Taylor said...

Sounds like lots of fun! Nothing like writing out on the balcony overlooking the ocean. Looks like a great view.

Edna said...

Sure am glad you 'all got away from the beach before Fri when the fire started down there and burth 70 homes and so many woods. I live in SC but up above Columbia.

May God Bless you all

Missy Tippens said...

I know, Edna! I've been meaning to write to Lynette and ask if her parents' condo is okay.

Missy