Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Preparing to be a High School Parent Once Again

I can't believe it, but my middle child is almost high school age! We have a parents' meeting at the high school tomorrow where we'll find out all about schedules and graduation requirements. It's been several years since I've had one entering the 9th grade, so it's like starting over. (Plus, they've changed some things.)

What's even harder to believe is that I'll be doing this again in two years when my "baby" goes to high school. And then I'll only have high school and college-aged kids.

When did I get so old?! I had a birthday a couple of weeks ago. Okay, so I'll spill the beans. I turned 47. (Had to do some math to remember!) And it's hard to comprehend when I feel like I'm like 35 inside. And then, of course, there's my daughter who says, man, you're almost 50, and that's reaaaally old. LOL And then my parents say things like, wow, I can't believe you're that old! (Because they only feel about 50 inside.)

I, too, can't believe I'm staring at 50. I wonder how I'll handle it. But I have friends in their 60's and 70's who are making fun of me, telling me to just wait. :) So I guess I should be thankful I'm healthy and happy. And that age is a state of mind.

So how do you handle birthdays?

Missy

4 comments:

bigguysmama said...

It is sooo crazy how our lives seem to whip by, especially as our children grow up. My youngest is in school now. My 3rd child goes to Middle school next year, my 2nd will be a junior and my oldest heads off to college. When did I get so old as to have a college age child? So freaky!

~Mimi B

Missy Tippens said...

I know, Mimi. My oldest turns 19 tomorrow, and I absolutely can't believe it!! Time flies by so quickly. :)

I'll be thinking of you this spring as you face graduation.

Anita Mae Draper said...

Well, let's see. Our girls turned 30 and 18 in Dec and Jan respectively. That leaves us with the boys age 13 and 10 yrs.

Can you see that... 20 yrs between our oldest and youngest.

I'm 52 and in 8 yrs I might be sad when my youngest leaves home, but I'm going to celebrate something fierce! That will be 40 yrs of raising kids and although I don't begrudge a single minute of it, I really need some down time. :)

Missy Tippens said...

Wow, Anita Mae, that really is an age spread!! Amazing.

Is your 18-year-old a senior right now?

Missy