Sunday, November 16, 2008

Love that Lasts Forever


Love that lasts forever. Well, maybe not forever. But almost.


I went to a funeral on Saturday for a gentleman in our church. He was 93 years old and had been married to his wife for 71 years. 71 years! That's longer than some people even live.

I thought a lot about this as they helped the widow into the funeral home chapel and down the aisle while we all stood. I don't know if this is just a southern tradition or if others do it all over the country. But as the family enters the church or chapel, they ask us all to rise. Just like in a wedding.
So I was reminded of weddings. And started thinking of the couple, married for most of their lives. And of how difficult it would be for the wife. When my husband visited with them, she kept saying she didn't want to let her husband go.

That's a lasting love. Love that carries you through 7 decades. And that's the kind of love I want. I want to celebrate a 70th anniversary with my husband. (Goodness, what gift do you give for a 70th?!)

That's also the type love I want to write about. I want to think of my characters having their happily ever afters and growing old together. And of them being so in love that they don't want to let go.

If you're married, how long have you been married? I'll celebrate 23 years in June. :)


Missy

6 comments:

CatMom said...

Oh my, 71 years! How amazing and sweet.... ~ When my precious Mom passed away 3 years ago she and Daddy were about to celebrate 64 years of marriage (He passed away last year so now they're together again in Heaven). ~ My husband and I will celebrate 26 years on Dec. 18 (I had a Christmas wedding!).~ Yes, Missy, here in the south at Funerals the congregation always stands when the family walks in (to show respect). Hugs, Patti Jo

Missy Tippens said...

Oh, happy anniversary early, Patti Jo!! :) I think a Christmas wedding would be gorgeous. :)

Keli Gwyn said...

Hi, Missy.

Nice post. Another Christmas bride here. My hubby and I will celebrate 21 years on December 19.

I love the tradition of standing for the family as they enter. We don't do that in California, not that I've ever seen anyhow. Wish we did.

Missy Tippens said...

Keli, happy anniversary to you, too! Thanks for stopping by. :)

Anita Mae said...

Hey Missy. 71 yrs is how long God intended marriage to last...

Hubby and I will celebrate 32 yrs of marriage in Dec - just a few days before Christmas.

Y'all are teeny-boppers still! :-)

Missy Tippens said...

Wow. Another Christmas wedding!! What happened to all the June weddings we usually hear about??! :)

Happy anniversary to you, too, Anita Mae.