Monday, September 29, 2008

Out of Gas!

Okay, it's starting to get ridiculous. No gas in Georgia. Everywhere you go, you see trash bags and grocery bags over the gas station pump handles. And every so often, you find a place that has received some gas, but the lines go out into the street. So I've been staying home as much as possible, only taking trips that are absolutely necessary (like to pick up the children from school!) :) I've conserved and driven slower, putt-putting around town like a granny, hoping that if I avoided panicking and getting gas, that I could hold out until the supplies picked up.

Well, this past Thursday, I had finally dwindled down to a quarter of a tank--my personal panic point. And on top of that, I had to drive to the other side of Athens (about 30 miles away) for my son's cross country meet. (One of the absolutely necessary events.) :) I had heard rumors that Athens had more gas than we do around here, so after the meet, I started searching. I found a station that had premium gas for $4.59/gallon! Uh, no thanks! I decided to make one last go-around of the station and was about to drive away when I noticed one pump that didn't have an "empty" sign over the regular gas. I lucked out! I was able to fill up for 4.19/gallon. Not great, but hey, it was better than waiting in line for a half hour like my husband had had to do! (Plus, it took him another half hour to pump the gas because it was pumping so slowly.)

It's amazing how much more secure I feel with a full tank of gas. I've always been that way, but with these insecure times, it makes an even bigger difference in my attitude.

So now I'm once again putt-putting around town, avoiding acceleration, avoiding quick trips to Wal-mart (way across town) or trips to the mall (25 miles away). If we could afford to do it, I would love to get rid of my gas-guzzling SUV. But that'll have to wait. For now, I'll keep embarrassing my kids by driving like a granny. And I'll just have to hope the weather doesn't decide to turn cold before I splurge and drive to Wal-mart to buy my poor son (who's grown like a weed lately) a pair of jeans! :)

Have any of you experienced a shortage as well? What are you doing to cope?

4 comments:

the reverend mommy said...

Definitely experienced the shortage. I preached about being "out of gas" last week.

I have revival this week and next for my churches and it's a 150 mile round trip ... I've been doing anything and everything I can to conserve gasoline!

I've even been the "mean mommy" and made the kids ride the school bus! I found gas this morning for 4.49 a gallon. It certainly makes you think twice about just "running to the store!"

Missy Tippens said...

150 miles??!! You poor thing! I sure hope we get more gas soon. Sounds like you'll be needing a buch!

Thanks for stopping by!
Missy

bigguysmama said...

We're so excited to pay $3.24/gal! Our taxes on gas go up 3 cents tomorrow. I can't believe we're excited when gas is at this price! Remember when we were paying 98 cents a gallon?! It seems so long ago and so far out of reach! Depressing. :(

Mimi B
who's also driving a gas guzzler and trying to switch!

Missy Tippens said...

Mimi, I'm so envious of your price! And yeah, we used to croak when it got near $3.

I actually love my Expedition! But I a couple of months ago, it cost $99 to fill it up! Outrageous!

Missy