Saturday, August 23, 2008

Well, We Did It

Well, we did it. We took our son to college. And I had no idea it would be this hard having him 6 hours away. I keep hearing noises in the vicinity of his bedroom and expecting him to walk in the room.

It's amazing that we can experience grief, even when we know he's doing what's best for him and is doing something he's always dreamed about. But we'll adjust.

It was hard to leave him, though. Luckily, he's doing better and better. He's meeting more new friends every day and is having a great time. Plus, they have tons of activities planned for orientation week. It's keeping him busy. And once classes start on Monday, he'll have to buckle down and work. :)

It's strange how the little things hurt. I ran to grocery store last night to pick up a few items, and when I went to grab the huge party-sized Stouffer's lasagna, it hit me that I can't buy that giant size anymore. How embarrassing to cry in the grocery! I stood by the freezer case and had to dig out a Kleenex.

So, I'm pouring myself into my writing. I cranked out a whole synopsis yesterday, not an easy feat. And today I'm going to try to write another chapter for the proposal.

Eventually, we'll all adjust. Probably about the time he comes home for fall break. :)

Missy

8 comments:

squiresj said...

I can relate to this. I sent my daughter off to Drury. Only she was so homesick and was 80 miles away so we picked her up every weekend and brought her home and took her back. She didn't like dorm life and after one semester moved back home. Then she went two years to a College where she could drive 45 miles a day one way. Then last year she tried driving back 80 miles one way but winter weater made it difficult. So this year it is back 45 miles away. She has left home this past year and is living with a partner so that has been hard to take. Yet she still calls on a daily basis and is only 10 min. away. But I sure miss the daughter who has moved all over the country. Now she is 12 hours away and I wish I could go shopping with her. Yes, you adjust but I have not yet after a year adjusted to the empty nest.
I want you to know Mae Nunn sent me your book "The Unlikely Family" for a Birthday gift in March while I was recovering from an ankle fusion. I did so want it and did so enjoy it.
God annoint and bless you.

Missy Tippens said...

Oh, goodness, 12 hours away! I bet that is difficult.

I'm so glad Mae sent you a book! And I'm glad you enjoyed it. I plan to have her on my blog sometime once she retires from her day job. She just didn't have time to fit it in over the last few months. In about 2 or 3 weeks, she'll be writing full-time!

Missy

bigguysmama said...

Missy, I will be in your shoes in exactly one year. My oldest had her senior pictures on Tues and I cried 3 times! I will be a total wreck the entire year. I just sent my daughter a "flair" on Facebook letting her know how sad I am! :o)

I hope your weekend gets better and even more throughout the week.

Blessings,
Mimi B

Missy Tippens said...

Oh, Mimi, the senior year is so hard, too! Hang in there and enjoy every minute. It'll fly by (sorry, I know that's no consolation!) :)

Missy

Anne Barton said...

Hi Missy! I cried when I read your post. My heart aches for you. My husband and I were saying today how we can't wait for our kids to start back to school. I totally take that back! What a great mom you are! :)

Also, I just voted for HER UNLIKELY FAMILY in the cover contest. Best of luck to you! :)

I'm sorry I won't get to see you at M&M. I'd love to go, esp because I know Margie Lawson is such a wonderful speaker. And I love Atlanta. Oh well, maybe next time!

Jane said...

I feel your pain! It does get easier, so take heart.

Missy Tippens said...

Thanks for voting, Anne!

Yeah, I always swore I would not be a parent who wishes her children back to school. But it never fails that by the end of the summer, they're fighting and whining and complain about being bored. So I've had my share of days looking forward to school! :)

But this year, I'm kind of takng it back, too. :)

Thanks for stopping by! I'll have my fingers crossed for you at the Maggie ceremony. :)

Missy

Missy Tippens said...

Thanks, Jane. I sure hope so!

Missy