Sunday, July 27, 2008

Three More Sundays

As my husband and son were talking about the high school Sunday school class, my husband told him, "Well, you only have three more Sundays before you head off to college."

Three more Sundays.

Okay, I'm sure you can imagine the huge lump in my throat and tears burning my eyes as I typed that. It's going to be a tough month. But exciting.

My son and I went out this past week to buy "stuff" for his dorm. It's so different from when I moved into a dorm a hundred years ago. I did all the girly stuff--going out with my roommate so everything matched. :) But my son mainly wants functional things. We did splurge on a cool chair for sitting in front of the TV and playing the X-box 360. (Ha! We'll see how much time he has to play once he gets there.) Still, it was fun going out together and spending that time out. Just Mom-son time.

It's going to be so strange to be a family of four. Of course, we've been preparing over the last couple of years, since he started driving. As one of my friends said, they start weaning you from them during the last year or so of high school. :) And that's the truth.

As we approach the last three Sundays, though, I'm having a hard time letting go. I'm wanting to treasure every moment. But I'm thinking that once we get to the campus, I'll be so excited for him that I'll get over the blues. The thrill of newness and meeting new people. Of living independently. Of learning so much.

Oh, and guess who the speaker will be for the incoming freshman class?! Maya Angelou! That'll be really cool (and parents will get to watch outside by TV monitor.)

My critique partner, Lindi Peterson, has said that she'll take me out for coffee once we get home from dropping our son off. To help distract me. So I'm taking her up on that offer. And I'll also be throwing myself into writing a new proposal/book. That's always a good distraction. :)

I'll try my best not to whine too much on here, and will appreciate any advice! :)

6 comments:

Belinda Peterson said...

I will take you out for coffee.
I got to spend my Saturday with my son, too this past weekend. I bought him some new clothes. We haven't done anything like that in a long time.
Missy, you'll be okay. But we'll always miss our boys.
Now that he's been at college the next hurdle would be marriage. I can't imagine that one. She better be good to him!!!!!!!!!!!

bigguysmama said...

Missy, I just got done blogging about starting my daughter's senior year! I'm already a wreck so I know exactly what you're talking about. I have a feeling blogging will be my way of working thru those emotions! :o) Blessing on your next 3 weeks as a family of 5 in the home.

Mimi B

www.wovenbywords.blogspot.com

Missy Tippens said...

Lindi, I'm glad you all finally got to go shopping!

LOL about the marriage. I can't even begin to deal with those thoughts yet. :) (Of course, I started worrying about him driving when he was about 10, so I bet once he finds a girlfriend, I'll start dealing with it.)

Mimi, I'll have to check out your blog! I started grieving for his leaving about the time he started his senior year. (Well, okay, I think it started his junior year, but who's counting?). So I think you're right on target. :)

Jane said...

Oh Missy, I feel your pain!! There are so many mixed feelings when a child leaves for college. You are so thrilled about the opportunities that lie before them and yet you mourn the loss of their childhood and their life at home. Nothing will ever be the same. BUT, take heart, there are MANY wonderful moments ahead and you will relish them all.

Missy Tippens said...

Thanks, Jane. And I guess grandkids are one of those blessings that come along eventually that make moving on worth it. :)

Jane said...

Boy, that is the truth!!!!