Friday, July 11, 2008

Act Two--A Novel in Perfect Pitch by Kimberly Stuart


I'm excited to tell you about a fun new book, Act Two--A Novel in Perfect Pitch by Kimberly Stuart. I read the first chapter at her website , http://www.kimberlystuart.com, and got such a kick out of it, I decided to take part in the blog tour.

I can tell by some of Kimberly's interviews that she would be someone I would really enjoy knowing. :) I hope you enjoy getting to know her as well.

First, a bit about the book...
Sadie Maddox loves New York. She’s the toast of the classical music world and the queen of all she surveys. Sadie is, in a word, a bit of a diva. But lately her CD sales are waning, not to mention parts of her anatomy.

When her agent suggests she take on a professorship at a small liberal arts college, Sadie decides to give it a go. Except the college is in rural Iowa, and the closest thing to designer clothes is the western wear shop down on Main Street. Sadie’s colleagues are intimidated, her students aren’t impressed, and she has to live far too close to farm animals.

Then Sadie meets Mac, a large animal veterinarian. She assumes they have nothing in common—he is, after all, a country music fan. Besides, she’s counting the days until she can end her exile from civilization. Er, New York. Yet when Sadie’s forced to spend some time with Mac, she finds she likes him. Her students, it seems, really need her, and this quiet Midwest community begins to grow on her.

But when the semester ends, Sadie packs up and heads for the city that never sleeps…and finds she can’t either. Will she find the courage and grace she needs to embrace her Act Two?
****
I have to admit I'm only part-way through the book (a high school graduation, travel and revisions kept me from much reading time), but I'm hooked already and can't wait to see what happens! Kimberly has such a fun voice--smart, sassy, honest. Her character, Sadie, sometimes thinks things that might make you cringe as you laugh out loud, but you love her all the more. :) I've never been a rich diva, but I can somehow relate to Sadie, and look forward to going along for the ride.


Next, a little about Kimberly (and you'll see why you'd like to know her)...

Q: If you had to write your memoir in six words, what would they be?

Wanted Angst, Clung Instead to Humor.

In high school and early college, I wanted nothing more than to be the tortured artist. I read and wrote horrible, dark poetry, tried to find the paradox in everything from God to navel oranges, and made my remarkably sunny parents nutty and fretful, usually within one dinner conversation. If you were so inclined, you could dunk yourself in my many journals of self exploration, a journey which, turns out, is frightfully dull when done alone and in denial of how diverse God’s fingerprints really are. It was only after several years of marriage and the birth of my daughter that I fully let go of the idea of being someone I’m not, tossed my inner longings to wear only black and moan songs by Ani DeFranco, and instead embraced laughter and humor as God-drenched gifts to humanity. Laughter truly is medicine and finally I’m ready to take and give a generous dose on a daily basis without feeling like I’m missing the artistic boat.

Q: When you were a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?

When I was a child, I wanted to be a “seener” (singer). Mostly, I wanted to be Amy Grant. That’s right, people: I was into STRAIGHT UP AMY GRANT. The hard stuff, the early years, like “My Father’s Eyes,” and “El Shaddai.” I rocked out (with choreography) in our basement, next to a record player roughly the size of an Escalade and was wholeheartedly convinced of my musical and entertaining genius. If only I could have met her at the right time, perhaps post-Gary, pre-Vince, we could have toured together! She totally could have used a back-up dancer/singer! In fact, if you’re reading this, Amy, I’m still available!

Missy's note: I loved Amy Grant, too!! :)

Q: Where are you headed next?

God willing, I’ll be giving birth to our third child in August, so I’m afraid I won’t be heading anywhere too quickly. Lactation seems to preclude so many of life’s adventures…In addition to caring for our growing brood and being really snippy with my husband for a few months due to sleep deprivation, I have two more books to write with David C. Cook. Act Two is the first of three, and I must ask you humbly to buy it within the next four minutes as it is time-sensitive material. And it’s a pretty good summer read, if I must be so bold. After Act Two will come two more. This will make a grand total of five books so far from the pen of Kimberly Stuart. Don’t place any bets that I’ll try to have as many children as I do books. When it comes to babies, those in print are much kinder on a uterus.

Missy here again...

Kimberly, I wish you a safe, joyous delivery of both books and baby!

Also, I hope everyone will visit with Kimberly at her other blog tour stops http://www.blogtourspot.com/stuart-blog-tour/stuart-blog-tour-stops/

19 comments:

Belinda Peterson said...

Oh, Missy! You knew I would love this interview and these books.
Kimberly--awesome! I read excerpts on your web site. I have to say--my nickname is Lindi and I always get called Lindsay---so for you to have Sadie call Lindsay L. Lindy I was cracking up! You instantly won my heart---and my money as I purchase your books.
Great interview and good luck on child number three---keep penning those novels though!

Janet Dean said...

Great interview, Kimberly and Missy! Act Two sounds like a fun summer read!

Jessica said...

Ahhh, Lactation. Isn't it fun! lol, great interview. Thanks for sharing and God Bless with your baby. With ALL of your babies, lol.
Thanks Missy.

Missy Tippens said...

Yes, Lindi, I knew you would love the first person writing and the humor. :)

Thanks for stopping by, Janet! I saw your book featured on Running with Quills yesterday but didn't get a chance to comment. Congrats!! The cover of Courting Miss Adelaide looked gorgeous so huge on the site! :)

LOL, Jessica! Thanks for stopping by. :)

I'll be gone until this evening and will check back in, then. :)

Missy

Nora St. Laurent said...

This looks interesting. I love to know about new authors. Could you please enter me into the drawing for this book. It looks good.

Thanks
Nora
www.psalm516.blogspot.com

bookwurm70 said...

Sounds great! I haven't read this author yet, but look forward to it.
Please enter me.
Gail
bookwurm70 [at] yahoo [dot] com

Julie Lessman said...

Missy and Kimberly -- what a fun interview!! And sounds like a realllly fun book too!

Kimberly, El Shaddai was one of my all-time favorites from Amy Grant, who was also MY very favorite "seener" forever. I "rocked out" with her music too ... only while you were diva-ing up in your basement, I'm pretty sure I was cleaning the house and changing diapers. Either way, that woman's music made everything better, didn't it??

Hugs,
Julie

Mary Connealy said...

This is a great interview. I love being entertained. The book sounds great, Kimberly. And best wishes for the family addition.

Think of it as a new edition.

Cheryl Wyatt said...

That's funny about the names. God's best to you in your book sales and the new addition to your family!

Cheryl

Abby Gaines said...

sounds like a fun book!
Abby

Kit Wilkinson said...

Kimberly and Missy, Awesome stuff! Good luck with baby #3...you almost make me want to have a third...ALMOST!

Kit

Camy Tang said...

Fun interview! Thanks, Missy and Kimberly!
Camy

Missy Tippens said...

I'm back! Whew. Long drive home from the beach. But I got to read the whole way--Act Two, of course. I drove the family crazy with my maniacal laughing the whole way. :)

Missy

Tina M. Russo said...

What a gorgeous cover and what a cool interview.

I'm very excited to pick up your book Kimberly!!!

bigguysmama said...

Missy, I'm with you on getting along fabulously with Kimberly! She is hysterical and I'm guessing that comes across in her writing. Please enter me to win her book. Have a great weekend!

In Christ,
Mimi B

mnjesusfreak at gmail dot com

Missy Tippens said...

Thanks, everyone, for stopping by!

I finished Act Two yesterday and can't tell you how much I enjoyed it! You don't want to miss this one.

Missy

the reverend mommy said...

Thanks for the visit yesterday -- and I enjoyed meeting you! I find God has me meet just the right people at just the right time -- I'm going to enjoy reading your blog and your book(s)!

And I think I may be buying and reading a lot more in the near future -- what a wealth you have connections to!

Theresa aka Rev Mommy

Kimberly Stuart said...

Hi, All!

Thanks, Missy, for the post and the kind words about ACT TWO. I'm so pleased it induced maniacal laughter during your trip. That's JUST the kind of laughter I'm working for, particularly in enclosed spaces. :)

Thanks, everyone, for joining in the discussion. Sounds like we'd make a great coffee group if we lived within driving distance of each other. :) At the very least, we'd do a mean Amy Grant lip synch.

One more word: Please stop by my website, www.kimberlystuart.com, and register to win an iPod Nano courtesy of my publisher, David C. Cook. Seriously! A free Nano! What could be a better summer present to yourself, other than perhaps a vat of chocolate and a good beach read? By Kimberly Stuart? (I know, I know, SHAMELESS.)

Happy reading, summering and winning!

kimberly
www.kimberlystuart.com

Missy Tippens said...

Thanks for stopping by, Kimberly! I just hit your website to register for the drawing! :)

Missy