Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Shirley Kiger Connolly's New Release!

I'm pleased to welcome Shirley Kiger Connolly today as part of her promotional blog tour for her new release, Flame from Within. Shirely, we're glad to be able to celebrate with you!


Can you tell us a little about your new release?

S: Sure. I’m honored that you asked! I would love to give you a preview of Flame From Within, Missy. The story is about a lost but enchanting plantation-bred young woman named Amethyst Rose about to wed the grandson of an English Baron. Unfortunately, the feared war finds its way to Vicksburg, Mississippi and her plans suddenly change. Just hours before taking her arranged wedding vows, Amethyst Rose (lovingly called Aimée) discovers her betrothed is missing-in-action…but is he truly dead? She soon finds herself occupying space in an underground cave hiding from the aggressive assaults of the despised Union Army! These same Yankees have just destroyed her home and family! Now this devastated Vicksburg darling must decide whether life is even worth going on. Her only choice left is to move in with her elder, controlling sister, who runs a bordello in The French Quarter of New Orleans, guaranteed to destroy Aimée’s personal respect and tarnish her family name. When she heads that way she soon finds herself in the clutches of a sleazy Frenchman. She knows she must escape—but how? Where else but into the arms of a dashing Union officer, who with his cousin, come up with a reckless scheme, to save this woman of the world, not only from her sister, but from herself. But will she respond?


M: Can you tell us a little about the publisher?


S: Vintage Romance Publishing is a small publishing company out of South Carolina that began back in 2004, so you can see it is still new. It publishes stories that take the readers on journeys to Scotland, England, and Germany—back into history without leaving their homes. The publisher looks for stories that will set sail, enter kingdoms, go to villages, and take the readers to castles—anything with mysteries, or a fresh aspect of love or laughter as long as the heroes and heroines are on journeys from the past. It was only recently they expanded their line-up to include inspirational romance and inspirational non-fiction, as well as multicultural historical romance. There are several fellow Christian writers there now, Missy.


M: What are some of your favorite themes you write about?


S: Besides inspirational historical romance, I write inspirational historical fiction and nonfiction devotionals too. Those are lighthearted in nature. My first book was more on the contemporary side, but I am not as comfortable with that. Also I have written for children, but I don’t know if I will return to that or not.


M: Can you tell us a little about you and your life outside writing? I see a dog in your website photo. Is that your “baby”? :)


S: LOL. Oh! You mention animals at my house? That’s Heidi. She is my pride and joy. She hangs around me all the time. But we have three dogs, Silas and Eli are our other two. And we have three cats too. Arabelle, Ben, and Allie, and I have eight chickens, and they all have names too! And when we lived on the farm I had animals and THEY were all named too! I have a think about naming EVERYTHING! If I had bugs I would name them too!


M: What are you reading right now?


S: I read a bazillion things at the same time… “The Pleasure Trap” by Elizabeth Thornton mostly for research purposes, and old inspirational called “The Fisherman’s Lady” by George MacDonald, and I’m in the middle of judging three pieces for FHL. So you can see I’m busy. I am also reading through a WIP I’m doing. I can’t seem to finish!


M: What’s your favorite Bible verse or verse that has sustained you recently?


S: I have several, but one especially which is self explanatory is Isaiah 41:10 Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee ; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness. I don’t know what I’d do without this one to cling to, Missy.


M: Anything else you’d like to share with readers?


S: No matter where you go in life, never become TOO proud of your accomplishments. It is humility, which is beautiful to God not self-pride.


M: Thanks so much for visiting, Shirley!!


S: Thank you so much for having me!


Join Shirley on her blog for contest for the month of May:

http://apenforyourthought.blogspot.com/



Also, visit with her and check out her monthly author interviews on:

http://shirleykoinonia.tripod.com/

18 comments:

Jennifer Hudson Taylor said...

Sounds like a great historical read. I haven't read anything in the Civil War time period in a while because publishers were not publising them. I've missed them. Congrats on the new book and thanks for letting us know about the new publisher.

Nora St. Laurent said...

Sounds like a really good book. I love Isaih 41:10 too. Please enter me in for the drawing.
Thanks

www.psalm516.blogspot.com

Janet Dean said...

Shirley, your book sounds fascinating. I've seen your name on the loops. After reading your post, I feel like I know you.

Missy, I love the title of your book!

Sarah/Robert said...

re:Isaiah 41:10.. years ago I even made up a little song so I could remember that one! Please enter me in the drawing for Shirley's "Flame From Within."

Tina M. Russo said...

Hi Shirley, beautiful cover on your release. Wishing you continued success.

Missy Tippens said...

Hi, all. Thanks for stopping by! Shirley will be pleased you came by. Her mother has been ill, but I'm sure she'll stop by later.

Janet, thanks! I really love the new title. It fits the book well.

Missy

Julie Lessman said...

Great interview, Missy and Shirley! Oh, I KNOW this is one I am going to LOVE -- can't wait to read it!!

And, Shirley, Isaiah 41:10 is a mainstay of mine as well -- where would we be without God's Word to anchor us???

Hugs,
Julie

Missy Tippens said...

Hi, Julie! Thanks for stopping by. I've got you entered in the contest.

(I'll enter everyone who comments unless you tell me not to.) :)

Missy

Becky C. said...

This looks like a wonderful book, and I love books set during the Civil War.

Would love to be entered in the contest.

Becky C.

rec at hiwaay dot net

Thanks

Missy Tippens said...

I've got you entered, Becky! Thanks for stopping by.

Missy

Shirley Kiger Connolly said...

Hello!
I am enjoying the comments. And I have to tell you how much I enjoyed writing the book!
Whoever wins it (Please disregard the typographical errors. LOL) Okay? Promise.

I was really excited about this story about Amethyst Rose. I hope you will be too. And I can't wait to find out to see who is the winner!

God bless you all.

Love Shirley

Missy Tippens said...

Hi, Shirley. I hope your mom is doing better.

I'll wait and do the drawing late tomorrow morning in case we get anyone on the west coast who wants to enter.

Good luck everyone! :)

Missy

Belinda Peterson said...

The books sounds fascinating!!
Thanks for the great interview, Missy and Shirley.

Stacey said...

This book looks amazing! Please put me in the drawing. Thanks.

stacey_dale[at]yahoo[dot]com

Cherie J said...

Enjoyed the interview! Sounds like a wonderful book. Please enter me in the drawing.

cherierjatyahoo.com

Missy Tippens said...

Hi, Stacey, Cherie and Lindi. I've got you entered!

Since we still have some visitors, I'll wait until later today to draw. :)

Missy

Patty said...

Am I too late for the drawing? The book sounds interesting. I would love to win.

pleblanc_1 at charter dot net

Missy Tippens said...

Patty, you're not too late! I entered you as well.

We have a winner!

Nora, congratulations! You're the winner of a copy of Shirley's book! I'll contact you on your blog. :)

Thanks, everyone, for taking part!
Missy