Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Writing and Music and the Sense of Smell

I love writing. And I love music. And I love to write with music playing in the background. In fact, on a couple of my books, I've had a "theme song" or "theme CD". One was a Jaci Velasquez song, "I Will Rest in You," that inspired my manuscript, When Lightning Strikes. Another was an entire CD (one of the Women of Faith conference CD's) that I played a lot while writing the beginning of another manuscript. It got to the point where I needed to play that CD to get into the flow of the book each time I sat down.

I've also had particular scents that go with books. My main character in the story that just sold uses shampoo and body lotion that is peach scented. While I wrote the book, I used peach scented gel scents near my computer. And any time I need some inspiration on a book, I burn an essential old by Jurlique, one called Wise Woman, another called Clarity. For some reason both of those get the creative juices flowing.

Okay, I know I probably sound wacky. And maybe some of it is in my head. But hey, if it works.... LOL

Back to Christian music. What an outreach. I switched over to 104.7 the Fish (in the Atlanta area) a few years ago when the radio station started. My husband had it playing in his car, and I enjoyed it. Once I started listening, I found that I was much more relaxed while driving. And my overall mood improved! I had been listening to an alternative music station, and the songs had been getting weirder, and were, I guess, agitating me.

Truly, I feel that the switch to contemporary Christian music changed my life.

Hope you're having a great week. Hop on over to the Faith group blog tomorrow. I'll be posting about a nostalgic (well, almost traumatic) moment I had today.

Hmmm. It just occurred to me that I was listening to a David Crowder song today when the incident happened. A very mellow song. I wonder if it had any bearing on my reaction....

Missy

3 comments:

Belinda said...

Omigosh!! Did you mention David Crowder?
You know I love Christian music. Crowder, Third Day, Bebo Norman, the Passion cd's!!!
Yes, it's very uplifting but can bring a tear now and then!!

Jennifer Hudson Taylor said...

Missy,

I'm right there with you. When I used to write at home, I would pop in a Celtic CD if I was writing a Scottish Medieval, classical if writing an English regency, etc. Now I write on lunch hours and between snippets of early morning and late night hours.

Lindi,

I'm going to a concert in Charlotte today - Jeremy Camp, Stephen Curtis Chapman, and Newsong. I can't wait!

Jenn

Missy T said...

LOL, Lindi! Yes, I thought you might catch that. :)

Jennifer, I hope you enjoyed the concert! Wow! How fun. :)

Missy