Thursday, February 22, 2007

Tip #2

My next tip is similar to the first. Be prepared for The Call by knowing ahead of time what type contract questions you want to ask. (This applies only if you're not agented, of course.)

I had listened to workshops for years, had absorbed the advice of published friends, and had decided ahead of time the type questions I wanted to be sure to ask if I ever got offered a contract. But they all flew right out of my head as soon as I saw Caller ID. So be sure you're more prepared than I was.

In fact, it might even be a good idea to put together a call kit to keep by the phone! :) Make a folder labeled The Call. Write down all the things you plan to ask an editor. Include a notepad and pen in the folder as well so you won't be fumbling around looking for either or won't forget every word she says.

Yep, the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of making a folder. There's something very optimistic about thinking like that, as if selling is a matter of "when", not "if". And it's always good to be prepared!

Missy

No comments: